Engineering and Astronomy SoftwareThe following are projects I have participated in through UBC Applied Sciences, Engineering, Computer Science, and Astronomy.
- SimSite: Construction Planning Online Simulator (in progress)
- GSD2ACSIS: Starlink library software used to convert DAS and AOSC data stored in GSD file format into ACSIS format data
- UBCDFLOW: Online debris flow travel distance calculator
- iPeer: Student Peer Evaluation Software
- SCUBA-2 Simulator development
SimSite: Construction Planning Online Simulator (in progress)
UBC Civil Engineering Dept., Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2008-present
Overview: Students studying construction management can learn about the various stages required in planning a project through simulated scenarios. The SimSite software allows an administrator (professor) to assign a project (e.g. building a bridge) to groups of students. Students must then research the project using the specifics provided by the administrator and simulate each step of the construction process. Student groups select appropriate work tasks, assign resources, equipment, and labourers to the tasks, and can evaluate their project plan. The goal is for groups to achieve optimal cost/time for the project while meeting all specified requirements.
- Generating algorithms to calculate durations and costs for work tasks based on resources and requirements.
- Design, graphics, code (ASP.NET/MSSQL) for SimSite. SimSite is the property of the Civil Engineering Dept at UBC. Please contact me if you require additional information regarding this project.
- Cross-browser compatability / CSS
- Development of additional test scenarios
GSD2ACSIS: Starlink library software used to convert DAS and AOSC data stored in GSD file format into ACSIS format data
Joint Astronomy Centre, Hilo, Hawaii, U.S.A., 2008
Overview: Data collected on the James Clark Maxwell Telescope using the DAS (Digital Autocorrelating Spectrometer) and AOSC (Acousto-Optical Spectrometer) spectral line backends was originally stored in the (now obsolete) GSD file format. The GSD2ACSIS routine uses the libgsd library to convert these GSD format files into the format produced by the current spectrometer (ACSIS).
- libgsd library written in C as part of the Starlink Software Collection
- GSD2ACSIS Programmer's Guide
UBCDFLOW: Online debris flow travel distance calculator
UBC Civil Engineering Dept., Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2007
Overview: Application development and website design for UBCDFLOW. Variables describing the downslope path of a predicted landslide and initial failure volume are used to calculate travel distances for flowing debris.
- UBCDFLOW website design
- UBCDFLOW User Guide and Tutorial
iPeer: Student Peer Evaluation Software
UBC Faculty of Applied Sciences, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2007
Overview: Writing code, debugging, testing, and teaching use of iPeer software.
- iPeer software development in CakePHP
- Developing iPeer User Guide
SCUBA-2 Simulator development
UBC Astronomy Dept., Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2006
Overview: Writing simulator code used to test the SCUBA-2 data reduction software pipeline. SCUBA-2 is a submillimetre bolometer array installed on the James Clark Maxwell Telescope in Hawai'i.